What is SMS?¶
SMS stands for Short Message, or Short Messaging Service, and is simply the text messages your mobile phone may send and receive on a daily basis. CiviCRM can handle the sending and receiving of these messages from within the system, providing you with an extra means of making and tracking communication with your constituents, other than email.
Some of the use-cases for this include:
- Disseminating information to areas where mobile and landline internet access is either unavailable or unstable.
- Collecting information/responses from remote areas
- Rolling out an SMS marketing campaign
- Distributing alerts and reminders
- Sending a note to event participants (e.g. a meeting) that the location or time has changed at the last minute